Sunday, April 19, 2009

Strength in Networks

As we dig into yet another quarter of our design education, I suggest we continue to use these blogs as a way to keep each other current with our thoughts on design and our day-to-day experiences (and that the people who don’t have them yet, make one!) The blog seems to be the most effective way for us to update the entire studio in a casual and convenient way; I would love to hear about everyone’s co-op quarter, for example, but there isn’t really an opportunity for us to effectively share the things we’ve learned in class or just talk about cool things we experienced (I’m sure you all hate telling the same stories 20 times like I do).


The reason I mention this now is that I’ve realized the more you put into something, the more you get out of it. We pay a lot to be here, to have a room to work in, and professors to guide us and offer their criticism. The real value of our studio, though, comes from each of us. Every single one of us brings unique skills and perspectives to the table, and the biggest crime we can commit is to not share them (through projects or otherwise). The blog is an extension of that; it’s a simple format that allows us to share our thoughts and work with the whole studio.

I haven’t been the best about blogging, but I’m definitely starting back up now. I have some advice to help you get posting if you’ve gotten into a rut like me:

  1. What’s the point? Try to make your posts as concise as possible, but still offer a complete thought or pose a question to get feedback.
  2. Use pictures. Last time I checked, we’re all still designers.I know I’m probably more likely to read something if there’s an image to draw me in. This might also be motivation to take photos and document your work this quarter.
  3. Stay regular. Force yourself to make a post per day until you get going. It can seem like extra work at first, but once you’ve established a time to make posts, it should just be like jotting down a homework assignment.

I am honestly excited to be here this quarter. I’m going to put everything I have into design work for the next two months and I hope you all will do the same. See you in studio!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This is really good advice. Not having to tell the same story over and over again will give you more time to focus on new ideas. Like the drawing!

ash said...

*cough cough* where ya been bjelovuk?