Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Love. This. Trailer... Oorah!

Movie trailers are in some ways just as important the movies they are made for. I'm keeping this in mind as I continue to build my portfolio as well as some "teaser" postcards to send to potential employers.


My favorite trailer from the last few years was for the 2005 film, Jarhead. I remember the teaser immediately sparking questions at the theater: "How do you make [what looks like] an action movie about a war in which the US Marines saw little action?" "Why are they playing football in NBC suits?" "Why is Jake Gyllenhaal running around wearing nothing but a Santa Claus hat?" I remember coming to the realiztion that the film must be a brutally realistic depiction of the war, telling the stories of the soldiers rather than just creating cool action sequences. The trailer succeeds because it sets in intersting stage, but at the same time it's obvious that there is much more to the story.

No comments: